Re: RH and arp - why not just hack ifup?

Subject: Re: RH and arp - why not just hack ifup?
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:15:33 +0200
On søn, 2004-07-11 at 04:19 +0200, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> why not use arptables?  it's a supported package and does the job.  (I
> did make a fool of myself and blocked only incoming requests, so I got
> bitten by the gratuitous ARP from ifup myself, but I deserved that.)
>
> the package name is arptables_jf for some reason.

I was prompted to write a little more about it.

the package is part of AS, but you can download the src.rpm and rpmbuild
--rebuild if you're using WS, since the WS kernel has the same support.

configuration is pretty straightforward, it is very similar to iptables.

  arptables -A IN  -d webmail.uio.no -j DROP
  arptables -A OUT -s webmail.uio.no -j DROP
  service arptables_jf save
  chkconfig arptables_jf on

the arptables_jf service is run before the network is brought up, so it
will just work after next reboot.

--
Kjetil T.