Re: scripts for mon

Subject: Re: scripts for mon
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:40:19 -0700
Christopher DeMarco wanted us to know:

>> In a paragraph, can you explain how  either of these provide more or
>> less advantage than ldirectord (built in to heartbeat)?
>I'm not running heartbeat at the site in question, and wasn't thrilled
>about setting  it up between the director  and two  realservers.  More

I wasn't real thrilled about having to install heartbeat to get
ldirectord either.  There's that thing about installing services that
I won't be using that makes me nervous (though heartbeat may be used in
the future).

>importantly,  Mon is generalizable  to  an org-wide monitoring  system
>(which heartbeat is  not).   Mon has  a wider  range of service  check
>scripts and alerts than ldirectord has and is therefore more flexible.

I do like that.

>If somebody wanted to monitor ipvs but take action ONLY by alpha pager
>(i.e.  *not* modifying ipvs) then  Mon would be  more appropriate than
>ldirectord.

I can see where that would be useful.
--
Regards...              Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin