RE: sendmail cluster

Subject: RE: sendmail cluster
From: James Couzens <jcouzens@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:48:06 -0700
On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 10:07, Peter Mueller wrote:

> MTA : use what you are most familiar with.  Like Todd I'm also most
> familiar with Postfix and Sendmail; those are the two I like most.
>
> The part I'd like to chime in on is the remote file mounts.  Although
> you could buy a SAN or setup NFS, you will most likely end up setting
> a single-point-of-failure that will bite you down the line.  Maybe a
> combination of SAN/NFS with DRDB (http://www.drbd.org/) would be
> appropriate.

We're having great success with Qmail using a multi-TB device from
raid-zone.com.  You have to remember, there is always a single point of
failure somewhere, the best you can do is just make sure its off your
network ;)

> Then again, maybe we are all batty.  You haven't said how much traffic
> you expect or what kind of budget you are working with.  Until you do,
> we'll probably keep adding more and more fault tolerance to your
> setup.  Pretty soon you will have 50 servers for this mail setup
> formerly handled by one.

Knowing what sort of traffic you plan to throw at it is pretty key.
We're in the 600K to 1M range in terms of volume per day.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,