Re: timeout in fedora c2

Subject: Re: timeout in fedora c2
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:15:48 +0200
Hi,

Load ip_conntrack and walk the
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter tree and wonders shall hit the earth ...

Thanks for the info. And do you think it will be used
along with secure_tcp defense strategy as
http://www.linux-vs.org/docs/defense.html described to
replace the timeouts mentioned.

I don't know (I've been out of the development loop for about a year) but I rather think not since they look kind of orthogonal to the existing netfilter timers which only got added about 6 months or so ago. One of the issues in fiddling with those timers is that they influence too much of the rest of the stack.

I also don't think the documentation is up to date anymore, it should be adjusted to reflect the current state of operation. Like that it only confuses people who don't want or can't read the kernel code.

If you're interested, check out following path:

net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_ctl.c:ip_vs_sysctl_defense_mode()
net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_ctl.c:update_defense_level()
net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_ctl.c:ip_vs_secure_tcp_set()
net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_conn.c:"set state table, according to proc-fs value"

from there you set the TCP state transition table. If you have the secure_tcp sysctl set, the kernel will be dealing with the vs_tcp_states_dos state transition table, if you have it unset, it will be dealing with the normal vs_tcp_states table.

The related timer for the state transitions are vs_timeout_table{_dos}. In former days you could influence those timers via proc-fs. Nowadays we seem to switch to the *_dos timer model under attack according to the comment in the code. But this is not correct. It should read that as soon as the sysctrl for tcp_defense is set, we will also be using the *_dos table timers along with the vs_tcp_states_dos state transition table.

Conclusion: The disabled proc-fs values have been replace by a static hardcoded mapping of the timers for tcp_defense. I could imagine that not a lot of people really used to tweak those parameters anyway.

HTH and best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc