Re: Pop-Before-SMTP and LVS

Subject: Re: Pop-Before-SMTP and LVS
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:39:49 -0400
Kelly Corbin wrote:

> I just added pop and smtp services to my load balancers, and I wanted to
> know if there was a way to tie the two connections together somehow.

fwmark (and possibly persistence, depending on the time between connections)

> Is there a way to have it keep track of the IP and always send those
> SMTP and POP connections to the same real server?

LVS is not really designed for writing to the realservers. To do
so, you have to serialise the writes and then propagate the writes
to the other realservers. This is a bit of a kludge, but is the way
everyone handles writes to an LVS. The other point of an LVS is
load balancing. What you're proposing is to turn off the loadbalancing
and have the content on each of the realservers different. You need
to be able to failout a realserver.

What you're proposing can be done, but it isn't an LVS anymore

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx