Re: Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?

To: Bubba Parker <sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?
From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:49:36 -0700
On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 13:36, Bubba Parker wrote:
> In my tests, the Soekris net4501, 4511, and 4521 all were able to route
> almost 20Mbps at wire-speed.
> I would suspect the 4801 to be in excess of 50Mbps, but remember, your
> Soekris board has 3 nics, but
> what they don't tell you is that they all share the same interrupt, so
> performance degredation is exponential
> with many packets per second.

Interrupt overload is only really a problem on receiving data and send
errors, right? Since I'd only be receiving on one NIC, and only
receiving about 1/10 of my target sending traffic, thats no big deal. If
it can truly route 20Mbit ... that means with DR it could conceivably
support sending of 200Mbit. At that point I'd probably be ready to buy
something from Radware or Alteon.. or go with super sparrow maybe? ;-)

We really should be talking about packets per second across the board
here though.

Thanks for the quick response! :)