Re: vrrp flip-flap and expire_nodest_conn problems related

To: ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: vrrp flip-flap and expire_nodest_conn problems related
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Alexandre Cassen <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:11:27 +0200 (CEST)
Hello,

> I thought keepalived does not use the IFF_UP|IFF_RUNNING anymore?

Keepalived still use those floags through the kernel netlink reflection
channel. When ifdown an interface this produce a kernel netlink broadcast
catched by VRRP netlink registered broadcast socket. Which will force
transition to FAULT state.

> I was under the impression that Jeff Garzik was going to clean that all up
> and that
> the ethtool interface architecture would provide use with a generalised
> framework
> for this. I reckon for Alexandre Cassen an event based netlink message would
> be the
> best for vrrpd, correct?

I wrote a small paper (present on my homepage at linux-vs.org) to explain how
linkwatch work. This is the very best solution to detect link failures. This
patch is now part of new 2.6 kernel. So that when NIC driver call netif_up
|down this produce a kernel netlink broadcast catched by any userspace stuff
registering lnetlink link event group.

Best regards,
Alexandre