Re: ldirectord FTP TIME_WAIT problem

Subject: Re: ldirectord FTP TIME_WAIT problem
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:28:39 +0900
On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 03:34:16PM +0200, LongJohn wrote:
> I use Fedora core1
> I know how ftp runs, and i could verify that ... correctly runs!
> The problem is that i couldn't explain why booting the server I immediatly
> see
> many "TIME_WAITs" for every services configured, even if nobody asks ftp
> connection!
> And the situation doesn't change. It changes only if i remove 'mask' from .cf
> where : ... real=10.0.0.x:21 masq
> but if i do that, 2 ftp connections do not run (connection refused).
> The real matter is that sometimes the server seems in standby and doesn't do
> his work. I think that this matter is caused by too many TIME_WAITs

This could be occuring for any number of reasons.
My first guess is that FTP requests that are generated
by ldirectord for monitoring purposes are the cause.
Have you tried using something like tcpdump or ethereal
to examine what is happening on the network?

Also, as mentioned previously, the ip_vs_ftp module is your friend.

--
Horms