Re: ipvsadm version mismatch in debian

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipvsadm version mismatch in debian
From: Joerg Rieger <Joerg.Rieger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:18:44 +0200
Hello,

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 08:44:41PM +0200, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> >see Bug #270774:
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=270774
>
> The last statement is important and the Debian folks should do that
> ASAP. I've done the same thing in our company distribution. We have a
> ipvsadm-2.2, a ipvsadm-2.4 and a ipvsadm-2.6. Whichever kernel you boot,
> you get the right tool with it.

Is your tool open source licensed? If so it would be nice to share it
with the rest of us.

I'd prefer a wrapper script which automatically executes the right
binary depending on your running kernel version. It's a simple thing,
if I don't receive any further response from the Debian Maintainer of
ipvsadm (shameless plug: I opened the above bug report) I might just
write one myself and see if it gets accepted.

> My problem is:
>
> I've got a Debian testing based Linux system on a sparc64 box. I try to
> get LVS running on a vanilla 2.4.27 kernel. The kernel module loads and
> runs absolutely fine.
>
> As stated, I've also downloaded the ipvsadm-1.21 source which should be
> correct for the latest 2.4.x IPVS version. Compiling it, with the
> /usr/src/linux includes (which is correct regarding my self-made kernel)
> gives me a binary which does not work as outlined in my first email.
>
> Any hints as to why this is so? I'll stick my nose into the code now for
> real ... sigh, my girlfriend will kill me. I suspect some 64bit
> uncleanliness or something along those lines. For more information:

I haven't encountered your problem yet. But since a few little/big
endian issues have been fixed in the last couple of days, I'm planning
to use an Ultra 5 to be a second director in a active-active
configuration with a x86 machine. Both will be running Sarge, so I might
also encounter your described problem.