IPVS on 2.6 Kernel

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IPVS on 2.6 Kernel
From: Peter Johnson <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:24:06 +1100
Hi All,

I am very new to LVS but not foreign to it's concepts or goals. I am trying to implement LVS across two real servers with each also being a director (active / passive). Most of the documentation and HOWTOs that I have found are relating to 2.0.x, 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels, I haven't been able to find much about 2.6.x kernels.

The difference? e.g. I have no "hidden" interface attribute in sysctl

The setup:-

OS:                  Debian running 2.6.9

Addresses:     VIP and RIP on same LAN segment.
                       Real 1 - x.x.x.1
                       Real 2 - x.x.x.2
                       Virtual - x.x.x.3
Method:         Ideally DR

Could someone possibly point me in the direction of this information or provide me with some guidance?

Could someone also possibly explain the processing order of packets through the kernel? e.g. does it follow network -> interface -> kernel -> iptables -> routing -> application (e.g. ipvs)

Thanks,
PJ