Re: IPVS on 2.6 Kernel

Subject: Re: IPVS on 2.6 Kernel
From: Peter Johnson <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:14:28 +1100
Kris,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I must've been blind as I checked for those as well last night and couldn't see them either but there they are today.

I tried:

--- Server 1 ---
# echo net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
# echo net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=0 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
# echo net.ipv4.conf.default.arp_announce=2 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
# echo net.ipv4.conf.default.arp_ignore=1 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
# echo kernel.sysrq=0 >> /etc/sysctl.conf

# sysctl -p

# ipvsadm -A -t x.x.x.3:25 -s wlc
# ipvsadm -a -t x.x.x.3:25 -r 127.0.0.1 -g
# ipvsadm -a -t x.x.x.3:25 -r x.x.x.2 -g

# ip addr add dev eth0 local x.x.x.3/29 broadcast x.x.x.3

=> At this stage I can ping x.x.x.3 and ipvsadm -L -n returns expected results.

--- Server 2 ---
# ip addr add dev lo x.x.x.3/29 broadcast x.x.x.3

=> At this stage I can ping x.x.x.3

=> from client # telnet x.x.x.3 25 and I get the mailserver

=> Stop mailserver on server 1

=> from client # telnet x.x.x.3 25 and I get "No route to host"

Any ideas?

PJ

Kris wrote:

2.4.26pre and 2.6.4pre will come with 2 new device flags for tuning the ARP
stack: arp_announce and arp_ignore. All IPVS like setups can use
arp_announce=2 and arp_ignore=1/2/3 to solve the "ARP problem" with DR/TUN
setups. These flags are going to replace the "hidden" functionality which
does not work well for directors when they are changing their role between
master/slave for a particular VIP. The risk is that other hosts can probe
for VIP using unicast packets which the hidden flag always replies. I'll
continue to support the hidden flag for 2.4 and 2.6 to help existing setups
but switching to the new device flags (or other solutions) is recommended.