Re: ipvs started failing

Subject: Re: ipvs started failing
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:11:07 +0900
On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 12:03:30AM -0500, Daniel Bidwell wrote:
> I have an IPVS server which is running linux-2.4.22 and ipvs-1.0.10 and
> has been running in production for about 2 years now.  I run two
> different virtual servers through it, a web registration service and
> inbound email.
>
> The mail server clients are running linux-2.4.28 with the hidden arp
> patch.  They used to run on Intel hardware, but I have moved them to
> Sparc64 hardware a week and a half ago.  After the move everything still
> worked correctly.
>
> We have upgraded the function of the mail servers by adding anti-spam
> software to the machines.  When I tried to add two more sparc64
> machines, (identically configured, the lvs portion stopped working and
> it looks as if they hidden arp has stopped working on all 4 machines.  I
> have even set the mac address of the lvs server in the firewall for the
> virtual ip of the mail server.

I am not sure what could be causing it either, but
it should be pretty esasy to verify your suspicions
by querying/clearing arp tables on the switch and other
machines on the LAN and then watching for arp traffic
and seeing where the replies come from using something
like tcpdump -en.

> I have started playing with noarp on a linux-2.6.9 machine, but while it
> compiles and install correctly, the noarpctl modules gets errors
> whenever it tries to access /proc/net/noarp.

2.6.9 should have arp_filter and arp_ignore, so you might want to
try using that instead.

--
Horms