Re: Server load balancing techniques of commercial web sites..

To: cheaney Chen <cheaney.chen@xxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Server load balancing techniques of commercial web sites..
From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:51:19 -0800
On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:01 +0800, cheaney Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   There are a lot of different kinds of SLB techniques, ex. DNS-based,
> Dispatcher-based(like LVS), and server-based , etc.
>   And my question is, for a commercial web site (like yahoo or ...)
> how to do SLB.
>   What methods are used to handle huge numbers of client's requests?
> Combination of SLB techniques above , or ... ?!

I've used LVS for frontend balancing, and this for backend:

www.backhand.org

In short, mod_backhand takes specific resource-intensive requests and
proxies them to whichever servers are least busy. It works *VERY* well.
We have a farm of cheap boxes serving lots of CPU intensive requests and
every box has the same exact load average within 2-3%. It even allows
persistence. Only downside is it requires Apache 1.3, but so far that
hasn't been a problem for us. :)