ipvsadm hang

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ipvsadm hang
From: Rob Adams <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:52:26 -0800
I've been having a bit of trouble getting ipvs working on 2.6 kernels.
I'm using keepalived to manage a cluster of web/application servers from
a pair of load balancers, using vrrp to handle router failover.  The
setup is a basic weight-round-robin LVS-NAT setup.  I have it working
(seemingly) fine on one load balancer running a 2.4 kernel, but on the
other one, using 2.6.10, 2.6.9, or 2.6.8 (I've been trying it off and on
for a while) I can start up keepalived to set up the cluster, but then
if I run ipvsadm it hangs.  The ipvsadm process then becomes an
unkillable zombie.  While this does raise interesting possibilities
about creating unstoppable armies of zombies, in practice I have to
reboot the server to get it usable again.

Has anyone seen this ipvsadm lockup before?  Any theories as to what
might be causing it?

Thanks,
Rob