High Availability, Load Balancing and Web Cache

Subject: High Availability, Load Balancing and Web Cache
From: "Brad Taylor" <btaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:30:52 -0500
I admin a web application that we are looking to get setup with High
Availability, Load Balancing and Web Caching and every layer redundant.
The application is ASP/ASP .Net and SQL Server 2000 backend.  We prefer
not to purchase a device for these as all seem rather expensive.  I do
have the Web Caching layer setup with Squid and it does work but need a
real time failover.  Any ideas on how I could set that up.  What could
be used for a load balancer to balance three IIS 6.0 servers?  I've
looked at LVS, Pound and PLB.  Sessions are important because once the
client logs in to one of the IIS 6.0 server that client needs to return
to that same server for that whole logged in session.  This is what I'm
trying to achieve:  Firewall --->  Redundant Caching Layer --->
Redundant Load Balancing Layer --->  3 IIS 6.0 Web Servers  --->
Clustered SQL Server 2000.  Here is one way I've thought of but it uses
many servers.

2 LVS Servers (1 Active, 1 Passive)  Setup with Virual IP Address --->
2 Squild Web Caches (1 Active, 1 Passive) --->  2 LVS Servers (1 Active,
1 Passive)  --->  3 IIS 6.0 Web Servers (All Active)

Total of 9 servers.  Any way I could get the same result without using
as many servers.

OR could someone suggesting doing something completely different and
keeping every layer redundant?

I know the single ISP, router, firewall and switch are all single points
of failure that will be addressed at a later time.

Thanks for any help.  I'd be interested in any setups you may have done
that are similar to the above that could give me some ideas.  Thanks for
any help.