Betr.: Ip_vs_conn lookup problem. Packes fall through to iptables

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sdonovan@xxxxxxxxx>, <vdberj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Betr.: Ip_vs_conn lookup problem. Packes fall through to iptables
From: "Janno de Wit" <Wit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:57:12 +0100
Johan ao,

I'm running on a Dual HT 2.8 Xeon too. Can it the solution for my
connection-droppings too? I'm currently running with LVS-DR, but
connections still fall down. And, i cannot reproduce it... but still
clients are calling about falling downloads etc.

Janno.

>>> vdberj@xxxxxxxxxxx 17-1-2005 7:44:46 >>>

Hi

I know that most of you already know about this problem that I have,
and
will therefore only give a brief description:

  An incoming connection gets successfully added to the connection
table, and ip_vs nats the packet to the correct real server. Every now

and again though, the response from the real server, upon lookup, does

not find the correct vip in the connection table, and ip_vs passes the

packet to iptables.

Someone earlier mentioned that the lookup might fail because of a race

condition within the kernel.  Could this be because of
SMP/Hyperthreaded
CPU's?  Should I even try compiling my kernel for no SMP support to see

if it helps?

I have a Intel XEON 2 processor HT box, now running RH8, and a vanilla

2.4.28 with the ipvs-nfct-2.4.27-3 patch applied (I was hoping to see
the failed lookup not causing problems because iptables would also find

the entry in its own lookup table, but I obviously misunderstood the
implications of nfct, as the problem still persists).

Johan van den Berg

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a
disclaimer.
Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.
<<<<gwavasig>>>>
<<<< gwavasig >>>>