Re: which load balancer

Subject: Re: which load balancer
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:45:15 -0800
Omar Armas wanted us to know:

>Hi, I want to set up a farm of mail servers with load balancing.
>Which method is the best under the following conditions:
>-Services load balanced: SMTP, POP and IMAP.
>-3 nodes initially and growth to 5 or 6 nodes in a few weeks. may more
>come later.
>-Linux (Qmail-LDAP as MTA)
>Which method for load balancing would be best for this? DR, NAT, TUN?
>I have a LVS/DR for HTTP, and remember to have read that LVS/NAT doesn´t
>scale very well with large installations. Is that true? Is it solved?
>What about tunneling?

You described the exact system we have.  LVS DR loadbalancing http over
2 machines, imap/pop over 2 machines, and smtp over 2 machines.  We
chose to seperate services over groups of machines.  Things just seem to
work better that way.

If you look through this list archives, I've described parts of our
system in various emails.

>Is LVS/DR the only in which nodes have to be Linux? For what I´ve read,
>in NAT and TUN I can use other OS(FreeBSD), is that right?

I have no info on any of this.  I defer to the experts.
--
Regards...              Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin