ldirectord and HTTP GET/HEAD [patch]

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ldirectord and HTTP GET/HEAD [patch]
From: Volker Dormeyer <volker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:29:54 +0100
Hello,

ldirectord does HTTP/HTTPS health checking by the HTTP GET method. I
know of some people and one of our customers who would like to use the
HTTP HEAD method for health checking to avoid the retrieval of an entire
web page. Which in turn results in a log entry of the web server and
after all in a web page hit.

Thus, I wrote a small patch to make ldirectord able to issue HTTP HEAD
requests for HTTP/HTTPS health checking. The attached patch adds an
additional config file parameter "httpmethod" which can be either "GET"
or "HEAD". It defaults to "GET", if it is not set in order to not break
any existing setups.

What do you think about it? Contructive ideas or criticism are welcome!
Maybe this was discussed some time ago.

Regards
Volker

--