Re: Some issues on LVS-DR with Squid

Subject: Re: Some issues on LVS-DR with Squid
From: Ein Bielaczyc <einb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:03:07 -0500
On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 04:16, Janno de Wit wrote:
> Hi Folks (just not signing this with gpg, lvs-users-owner reject
> message type ;-)),
>
> I'm having some struggles with LVS here.
> Running Director with:
> * Linux 2.6.9 on HT Xeon 3.00G
> * Debian ipvsadm v1.24 2003/06/07 (compiled with popt and IPVS v1.2.0)
> * 2x BroadCom BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet (lan-wan) (tigon3 driver at
>   100Mbit Full duplex)
> * Load Balancing Squid via LVS-DR over internal LAN to 10.0.0.x. With
>   2 machines.
>
> Case 1:
> - Each night the realservers are updated in this way:
> * LVS remove realserver-1, run updatescript for realserver 1, LVS add
> realserver 1
> * Next realserver
> So each realserver will be updated each day.
>
> The realserver is taken offline by executing:
> # /sbin/ipvsadm --delete-server -t $VIRTUAL_IP:$port -r $realserver
>
> and the server is set back online by using:
> # /sbin/ipvsadm -a -t $VIRTUAL_IP:$port -g -r $realserver -w $weight
>
> When LVS removed the server, all connections will be forwarded to the
> other realservers. But when the updated realserver comes back it LVS
> restores the connection counters too... This is not the problem, but
> it *seems* this connections never loop out the hashtable.
>
> Our site here is update at 3:00am and there are 'no' clients online,
> so i should not have many open connections.
Have you tryed using Keepalived (http://www.keepalived.org)? I have a
similar setup (Compaq DL360, Fedora Core 2, kernel 2.6.10, IPVS 1.2.0).
I've been using Keepalived with 2 real servers for a little over a week
with no problems. But I can't speak to your question of "connections" I
don't see those results on my setup.

> Case 2:
> - I get clients complaining that their SSL connections gets broken
>   when tunneling through our proxy. I don't have any idea where to
>   search this. Sometimes the solution is to point the proxy directly
>   to a realserver, otherwise this is not a solution for everybody (got
>   someone who is using Citrix NFuse through our LVS-Squid setup and the
>   connection suddenly breaks after some minutes . Maybe this is a
>   squid issue? Is there a squid setting to keep CONNECT sessions open,
>   not breaking after some minutes (disconnecting after 2 minutes).

Do you have a persistence timeout set? If so, perhaps you should
increase it.

Ein Bielaczyc