Re: Initial setup

Subject: Re: Initial setup
From: Rob <ipvsuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:59:00 -0800
What version is your kernel? I run LVS-DR on Fedora Core 3 with no patches.
Seems to work OK, I haven't noticed any issues.

You can check ifconfig -a
for dummy/tun devices or lo aliases.
check /etc/sysctl.conf for things like:
# ipvs settings for realservers:
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

To set up a 2.6.10 kernel for use as a real server AFAIK all that is required
is:
* add lo alias with the vip address, something like (if your vip is 10.1.1.59) :
ifconfig lo:2 10.1.1.59 netmask 255.255.255.255
* add the arp settings to sysctl.conf
* run sysctl -p
* you may want to restart any programs that run socket listeners that you wish to usr with LVS just to be sure and review their config to be sure they are listening on 127.0.0.1

use ipvsadm to add the server to a vip and test it - I recommend testing against smtp or a simple web server to isolate LVS issues from any complex application configuration issues.

Good Luck

Kirk wrote:
I'm new to the group and LVS and have been glancing over the documentation
for the past few days.  I've taken over a system that was setup by another
developer and he's all but disappeared so I have no clue as to how far he'd
gotten with setting up LVS to distribute requests to a web farm.  The load
balancer server is set up for DR, that much I know but the web servers are
somewhat a mystery.  Is there some way to determine whether or not the
kernels have been patched with the appropriate modules?
And if not (no patch applied to the real servers), is there any way to set
up a real server (for DR) to handle the ARP problem without having to
rebuild the kernel?  I thought I'd found someone mentioning they got this to
work via iptables but I can't seem to find the reference.

Kirk