Re: Initial setup

To: kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Initial setup
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:28:36 +0900
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:34:47AM -0800, Kirk wrote:
> We're using lvs-kiss which is supposed to handle no response from the web
> server and route to the one that's up, correct?  I think ipvsadm reads from
> this file as well as takes note to which one is responding?
>
> Our lvs-kiss.conf file looks like this:
>
> <VirtualServer 210.210.30.200:80>
>   ServiceType       tcp
>   Scheduler         wlc
>   # should it be dynamic or static?
>   DynamicScheduler    1
>   Persistance       600
>   QueueSize           2
>   Fuzz              0.1
>
>   <RealServer 210.210.30.210:80>
>     PacketForwardingMethod gatewaying
>     Test webtest.pl --url http:// 210.210.30.210/
>   </RealServer>
>
>   <RealServer 210.210.30.211:80>
>     PacketForwardingMethod gatewaying
>     Test webtest.pl --url http:// 210.210.30.211/
>   </RealServer>
>
> </VirtualServer>
>

> If 210.210.30.210 goes down or doesn't respond, I was assuming all requests
> would go to .211?  Isn't that the whole point of using LVS?

LVS just handles load balancing connections to the real servers
it is told about. It doesn't really know much about the
idea that real-servers can go offline. That kind of behaviour
is implemented by helper utilities, in this case lvs-kiss.

You can check to see that it is doing what it should by
inspecting ipvsadm -Lcn after taking one of the
real servers offline. If it is present in the output
with a non-zero weight, then LVS will continue to use it.
Otherwise it won't.

... ok, I notice that you have persistance set.
With the RHEL kernel (actually all kernels up until
a month or so ago) persistance still takes effect even
if the weight of the real-server is set to 0,
perhaps this is your problem.

--
Horms