RE: load balance the load balancer?

To: <kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: load balance the load balancer?
From: "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:29:46 -0800
> Is there a how-to or similar describing how to set up
> LVS-Kiss in a primary/secondary configuration?  We have a DSN
> system as ns1 and ns2 and LVS living on both as the load
> balancer for 4 web servers.  If ns1 (lvs1) goes down how do I
> configure ns2 (lvs2) to take over?  Our web address in DNS is
> set for a single IP which lvs1 uses as the VIP.  If lvs1 goes
> down what can I do to get lvs2 to take the traffic?

As Chris mentioned, Heartbeat is an option.  Take a look at some of the
ideas.  If you go with heartbeat it is recommended to replace lvs-kiss with
ldirectord as this is more widely used.

http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/

An interesting alternative to heartbeat/ldirectord is keepalived:

http://www.keepalived.org

Regards,