Re: [newbie] LVS and Traffic Balancing

To: jimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [newbie] LVS and Traffic Balancing
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:10:21 +0900
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:23:49PM -0500, Jim Miller wrote:
> > Yes. Look at using fwmarks in conjunction with LVS. It is your friend.
> > A breif explanation I wrote about this is at:
> >
> > http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/ha-lb-eg-fwmark.html
> >
> > Note that LVS is really about load-balancing incoming requests.
> > If you want to handle outgoing requests you will need SNAT.
> > But I suspect you already have a good handle on that.
> >
> > --
> > Horms
>
> After reading the fwmark page, I was curious, would this work in a NON-NAT
> (DR) configuration?  I haven't had a chance to experiment yet.

fwmarks work fine with LVS-DR, LVS-NAT and LVS-TUN.

Think of it like this. Normally LVS has some code
to inspect the destination IPadress and port of a packet,
and if it matches one of its virtual servers, it takes
that packet and load balances. If you fwmarks then
the matching is done by netfilter - which has more
sophisticated matching capabilities - and lvs just
looks to see if netfilter says a packet is for LVS.

However, weather LVS-DR will work for your setup,
that is another question.

> Thank you for all of your hard work with LVS and your Ultramonkey project.
> Your papers have been immensely helpful and informative Horms!

Thanks

--
Horms