Re: Distributed file system, which one would you consider?

Subject: Re: Distributed file system, which one would you consider?
From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:45:52 -0600
> Now i looked at coda, but it doens't support 2 way replication properly.
> (And i want it to do multiple updates, to elliminate the center master
> node. (eg,update to both of its neigbours))

        Coda is being developed (latest release was on March 15th, 2005) and it
does support 2 way replication.  I have a test bed for it set up.  If I
add or modify a file, it is immediately available on all of the clients.
But clients don't download all the changes instantly -- they get new
versions on demand.  So if a file is updated, but your client doesn't
use that file, bandwidth won't be wasted downloading it.  Files are only
updated on close() however and not immediately on write().  And coda has
tools for conflict resolution, though you should design your system to
avoid conflicts.

        Though it is still buggy and not terribly easy to setup and use, it is
useful as a high availability solution since updates are sent out to
replicating servers immediately via multicast and disconnected
operations are supported for times when any one or all of the coda
servers are down.

        Why do you think it doesn't work for 2-way replication?

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated