Re: e-mail Cluster

Subject: Re: e-mail Cluster
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:53:59 -0700
kwijibo@xxxxxxxxxx wanted us to know:

>>I want to build e-mail cluster using lvs, anybody have experience with this
>>and talk about this?
>It is pretty much the same as setting up an LVS for any other
>service.  The biggest problem you will probably have is figuring
>out how handle storage for the mailboxes.

Agreed.  We use a NetApp for our central NFS server, 2 http machines for
webmail, 2 imap machines, and 2 smtp machines.  We have a 2 node load
balancer with failover that balances the 3 protocols listed above (as
well as other webservers).  The 6 machines serving mail are dual P4 2.8
GHz with 1Gig RAM boxen, the load balancers are old P3 700 boxes that
only do load balancing.  We're just a small system though compared to
many who do it.  We estimate we could scale up to about 10-20 real
servers for each service before we start to get throughput problems with
the NetApp.

>My experience is that it works great.  I am not sure how I would
>handle our mail load without it.

Same here.
--
Regards...              Todd
  We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.