Re: ldirectord action on failure

To: Ramprasad A Padmanabhan <ramprasad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ldirectord action on failure
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:25:53 +0900
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 03:14:08PM +0530, Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:38, Horms wrote:
> > On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:48:35AM +0530, Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >   We are planning to use LVS-DR for our smtp servers. Running ldiretord
> > > on the Director I can poll my real servers if any of them is down they
> > > would get removed from the directors ipvsadm table.
> > >
> > > How can I configure ldirectord to run some script if any on the real
> > > servers is down
> >
> > Ldirectord doesn't offer such a feature at this time.
> > It should be pretty easy to add, I would guess
> > it should hook into _service_up() and _service_down().
> > I am happy to consider patches to add this feature.
>

> Thanks for the reply,
> IMHO There is another feature that would be very useful , if ldiretord
> could change the weights of the servers depending on some program
> output.
>
> For eg. In my case I am using LVS in front of SMTP servers , I can write
> a script that can fetch the mailq from each of the smtp servers. I would
> like to run a program , say every 10 minutes , and set the Real server
> weights according to their current mailq
>
> Do you have any inputs , If I were to write these plugins.
> I would be happy to contribute

Take a look at feedbackd (redfishsoftware.com.au from memory),
it includes a good discussion of some of the issues
involved in doing this.

I do like your idea, especially as it involves not including
the logic in ldirectord. It would be pretty easy to set
up a (Unix?) socket to feed the data into and leave it
up to some other code to feed it numbers.

--
Horms