Dynamically changing destination ip address using iptables - IMP

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Dynamically changing destination ip address using iptables - IMP
From: kavitha <fd99127@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:31:07 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

We are trying to modify the TCP protocol a little but so that when a packet
arrives at a router, it would be possible to read a particular field (lets say
options or the reserved field) of the packet(that would give the actual path
that the packet needs to take) and populate the destination ip address of that
packet with the new ipadress read from this reserved field. I know that using
dnat you can change the destination ipaddress of the packet but in my problem,
I would not knwo the destination ipaddress prior (it would be dynamic) and it
would change with every packet - so I would not be able to use a static ip
address in the iptables rule. So I wanted to know if there is anyt way to get
around this , or if iptables would not provide a solution to thsi problem at
all . I knwo this can be done using raw sockets but adding a single line (as in
iptables) seems to be a better proposition than writing pages of code.
Basically, I want to know if there is a way to dynamically conf
 igure
 the destination ipaddress that a packet is being routed to by mapping certain
other bits of the same packet coming in.

It would really help if someoen can provide some information in this regard.
Any pointers too would really be useful.I looked at the man pages and searched
the internet but was not able to come across any rela examples where such a
thing may have been used.

Thanks for your time! Please let me know if you need more clarifications!
Kavitha