Re: Using LVS for MySQL traffic

Subject: Re: Using LVS for MySQL traffic
From: Troy Hakala <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:49:10 -0700
That's true, but the master is redundant in itself (RAID drives, redundant
power) to minimize the risk. But yes, we are very read-intensive and keeping
the master out of the read load-balancing further increases the master's
lifespan.

We haven't tried master-master replication, but it's pretty easy and quick
to turn a slave into a master. We prefer simplicity to complexity. Besides,
we're not a bank and no one dies if the master db goes down for a few
minutes every 5 years. :-)

FWIW, our outages have been caused by bandwidth outages more than server
hardware failure. There's supposed to be redundancy there too, but for some
reason or another, the redundancy never kicks in. ;-)