Re: pop3 problem

Subject: Re: pop3 problem
From: akmal <akmalg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:03:04 -0500

Hi guys,

I read the lvs-minihowto like you suggested and this is what I get :

     7.8. initial connection is delayed, but once connected everything
     is fine

Usually you have problems with authd/identd <http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.authd.html>. Simplest thing is to stop your service on the realserver from calling the identd server on the client (/i.e./disconnect your service from identd).

--> my service is not run in identd at all

Another problem, which causes slowness in any situation, is DNS timing out on a call. Ideally you shouldn't have DNS running on any machine in an LVS - you will need to run sendmail etc off /etc/hosts. However if you have DNS, make sure there are entries for all IPs on that machine (if you have multiple interfaces) and any machine that you'll be calling. To check, run commands that need name resolution /e.g./ *netstat -a* (will need entries in /etc/services as well) or *route* (will need entries in /etc/networks as well). If either of these pause, rerun them in the form which doesn't need name resolution (*netstat -an*, *route -n*) to locate the entries forcing the pause - these don't have name resolution.

--> don't solve the problem.. too... :-(

the configurationthat I use from : http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/sl-ha-lb-eg.html

I use postal to benchmark mail, and smtp go just fine

[root@lmdk postal-0.62]# postal -m20 -p2 10.10.2.137 -r10000 user

1 normal
2 service down
3 service up, takeover

time,messages,data(K),errors,connections
08:58,980,10371,0,982,0
Can't connect to 10.10.2.137 port 25.
Can't connect to 10.10.2.137 port 25.
08:59,521,6646,2,521,0
09:00,866,9033,0,866,0
Read error.
09:01,780,8353,1,780,0
09:02,770,7797,0,768,0
09:03,787,8504,0,789,0
Read error.
Read error.
09:04,979,10212,2,980,0
Read error.
09:05,1269,13276,1,1267,0
09:06,1082,11339,0,1084,0

but when I try to connect to pop from client to VIP still slow respond in
another node..
[root@holy cacti]# telnet 10.10.2.137 110
Trying 10.10.2.137...
Connected to 10.10.2.137 Escape character is '^]'.

......(delay like in mini howto)

+OK <17512.1132351263@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

please help...

thanks