RE: Stats for a webserver

Subject: RE: Stats for a webserver
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:34:29 +0000
On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 21:05 +0100, Lemaire, Olivier wrote:
> Mergelog is your friend (http://mergelog.sourceforge.net/), using
> The #2 way.
>
> #1 is probably overkill unless you need your logs up-to-date
> At the last second...

mod_log_mysql might help you out too:
http://bitbrook.de/software/mod_log_mysql/

...or its' Apache 1 cousin, mod_log_sql:
http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_log_sql/

Note however that for a big and/or very busy cluster you need to be
very, very careful with your database design and the setup of your
servers. At work a colleague recently ran this up across 40 Apache
servers and knocked the ass out of the MySQL logging server, jamming it
up with 1000 persistent client connections. That was bad operational
design on our part, but still something worth remembering.

Performance-wise it seems to do well as all the queries are inserts, and
it's obviously possible to make use of MySQL table replication to
amalgamate several collected tables onto one host for post-processing.

As a theory it's definitely got legs, we just have to find out how many
in practice now!

Graeme