Re: HPUX and Direct Routing

Subject: Re: HPUX and Direct Routing
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:24:01 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Andreas Lundqvist wrote:

Hi

I was just wondering why all documentation and HOWTO's say that it isn't possible to run direct routing with HPUX as realservers.

I hope that's not what the documentation says (let me know if it is). HPUX doesn't honor the -noarp flag (or it didn't back when we tried it last) in the same way that linux-2.2+ doesn't.

I just set up an alias on lo0 and lo0 doesn't arp and so far I haven't had any problems with my tests.

You can set up an LVS with all the realservers arp'ing and it will work as long at the router gets the MAC address of the director each time. My first LVS was like this and I didn't realise I hadn't solved the arp problem at all. I was just lucky.

Am I missing something?

can't tell.

Can you turn arp'ing back on, show that the router gets the MAC address of the realservers, and have the LVS stop working?

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!