Re: ipvs and cluster firewall

Subject: Re: ipvs and cluster firewall
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:51:03 +0200
Hello,

Do you know if you can do something like carp+pfsync with linux+ipvs.

IPVS has not much to do with firewalling, you can achieve CARP+pfsync like setups using VRRP+ctsync under Linux.

My goal is to have two firewall, a master and a backup.
Both sharing the same IP: VIP

keepalived.

I can do it easily with keepalived and a VRRP method and same ruleset but it means that all connections are lost when master comes down.

ctsync

I want to know is ipvs is the solution.

Nope, provided that was a question.

I read then http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-
HOWTO.server_state_sync_demon.html

This is IPVS template synchronisation.

but I saw:"Note that the feature of connection synchronization is under experiment now, and there is some performance penalty when connection synchronization, because a highly loaded load balancer may need to multicast a lot of connection information. If the daemon is not started, the performance will not be affected. "

Under experiment is a bit strong ...

and from:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-
HOWTO.failover.html
Honestly, as good as LVS is for real server load balancing, for firewalls I like OpenBSD with CARP and pfsync. CARP+pfsync provides easy, scalable load balancing and HA for firewalls. pf, the OpenBSD firewall, is very well written and nicely designed. Give it a look, www.openbsd.com.

It is indeed.

Note Carp is available for Linux too. "

CARP is the same as VRRP basically.

 yes carp is available for linux but not pfsync which is what I need.

Does ctsync not work? I know that you've also asked in the nf-failover ml. It's sort of maintained (there have been a couple of patches to ct_sync this year already) and it sort of works for the handful of people that actually use it. It had problems with tcp window tracking the last time I tried it but Krisztian and Harald are certainly more than happy to fix a couple of issues related to ctsync problems. People send in patches to ct_sync regularly to netfilter-devel and some even maintain out of tree kernel patches:

    http://vvv.barbarossa.name/files/ct_sync/

Please try out the available software and if this does not work, complain at netfilter-dev ml ;).

I have 2 questions:
First is it possible to use ipvs in this way?
        .----FW backup---.
       /        |         \
INET---         |          +---LAN
        `----FW master---'
a master, a backup, firewall scripts and update in real time of the ip_conntrack?

Basically yes, however IPVS is of no use to you since you only need VIP failover functionality, aka VRRP.

Second: and what if I add load balancing of servers from the firewall?

This I don't understand.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc