Re: Connecting to the VIP from a NAT -ed realserver

Subject: Re: Connecting to the VIP from a NAT -ed realserver
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Dan Sully wrote:

Thanks. The suggestion by Jacob Reif is simple, and it works. However, requests don't actually get load balanced, since you're just looping back to the local machine.

the original request was load balanced, so in some way the secondary request is load balanced too. I'll admit it's not perfect, but it works.

The suggestion by Graeme Fowler with the mangle rule and lo:0 alias on each real server appears more robust and is what I want to have happen, unfortunately it doesn't work.

I've been trying without success to get a better write up of what goes on there. I don't have the whole story unfortunately.

Trying that solution, if I have my ldirectord.conf set to 'gate', I never see packets from the real server hit the local director. If I set it to 'masq', I have the same initial issue - packets get sent to a real server, but because the ack comes back from an unexpected src, the packet is dropped.

hmm, there's probably some iptables rules involved then. If you can scan for the original postings and work out what they did, let us know.

THanks JOe

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!