Re: ldirectord + LVS-DR + VIP bound services on realservers question

Subject: Re: ldirectord + LVS-DR + VIP bound services on realservers question
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 21:32:57 +0100
On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 10:22 -0700, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I don't know a whole lot about ldirectord, but if it's
> running on the director, which has the VIP, it can't send a
> packet to the VIP and expect it to go to the realserver.
> Thus you need a parallel service running on the RIP (or the
> service on the realserver bound to 0.0.0.0). You can get
> around this by doing an rsh/ssh request to the RIP and
> running a command to check the service running on the VIP.

Alternatively setup an iptables rule on the realserver to snag the
packets aimed at the RIP and DNAT them to the VIP instead:

iptables -i $RIP_INTERFACE \
         -p tcp -m tcp -s $DIP -d $RIP \
         --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination $VIP

Ah... but I see your realservers are W2K servers, so that won't work.
Humbug.

You may need to use IIS to do this, and have it run a passthrough script
of some sort to attempt to fetch the app server index page from the
local instance of the server application. If it fails, generate an
appropriate error and pass that back to ldirectord. This is akin to
Joe's recommendation to RSH/SSH, but using a webserver instead.

Graeme