Re: invoke scheduler for every received packet

Subject: Re: invoke scheduler for every received packet
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:41:54 +0200
Hi,

this is a second time I'am addressing list with this question. I have
been using LVS with ops patch, which enables invoking scheduler module
for every received packet (no connection caching).

I have just briefly skimmed over this patch and am a bit unsure how efficient it is, but it seems to not populate the template cache. Why invoking the scheduler module for every packet is special, I fail to see. Having non-persistent scheduling to does the same. But I've only looked at the patch for 2 minutes.

This feature is
important to me because I'am using custom scheduler module which expects
to receive every packet belonging to same port and IP address pair.

How does this look?

Is it possible to achieve same behavior of LVS on some other way besides
using OPS (one packet scheduling) especially on newer kernels? Problem
with OPS is that it is not maintained for newer kernels.

Which newer kernels do you mean exactly? I would believe that

http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/

still applies to the latest 2.4.x kernel and that

http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-users/2005-09/msg00214.html

still applies to the latest 2.6.x kernel with some fuzz, of course. We have actually never reviewed this patch, so I wonder if it would be time to review it and submit for inclusion. Could you give me an exact explanation what it does and how it's used?

HTH and best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc