Rsync'd file systems

Subject: Rsync'd file systems
From: "Dan Brown" <danb@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:35:43 -0600
I've been trying to figure out how to deal with this problem for a little
bit but haven't come up with a good solution.  I run an streamlined high
availability Ultramonkey 3 LVS with two servers (at the moment).   The
servers have separate non-shared RAID 1 filesystems which are sync'd every 5
minutes using rsync.  FTP runs on the server which is the director at the
time.

The problem is that when people upload or delete things via FTP, it gets
synched right back five minutes later.  When I have a
--delete/--delete-after/etc option for rsync on the server that is not the
active director (and thus not running FTP), it can cause issues when people
upload data as when they upload it and it ends up on the director server
first, it gets deleted on the next sync as it's not on the ftp server.  At
the moment programming sites to copy the file over to the other server would
be a lot of backpedalling.  Would there be an easier way to do this via
something like file alteration lists from a FAM or filesystem snoop such as
tripwire?

Dan Brown
zu.com communications inc.