Re: connecting through the lvs twice - failover fails

Subject: Re: connecting through the lvs twice - failover fails
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:39:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Sebastian Vieira wrote:

The lvs sends the client to one of
the terminal servers.

don't know anything about rdp but you have it working so I'll assume it's just a normal single port service.

Once connected there, the user fires up a telnet
session. This telnet session connects to the lvs again (different vip/port),
which sends it to one of our telnet servers. Is the lvs a client then?

yes

in two stage setups like this, many people seem to want to go through the director for the second hop (in your case the telnet). Maybe this is needed in some setups, but if you can reconnect directly to the same realserver for the 2nd service, rather than returning through the director, then you'll save yourself a lot of bother. Presumably the client is telnet'ing to the dns machine_name for the VIP. You could put an entry on the realserver in /etc/hosts which sends machine_name to 127.0.0.1

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!