Re: Multi-homed routeing issue

Subject: Re: Multi-homed routeing issue
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Joseph T. Duncan wrote:

I cant have one nic with the vip, or the traffic for doing the weight tables gets blackholed on the realservers.

I guess you said that. I don't understand how you set up the weight tables, but it sounds like you do.

If one were to setup RIP on eth0 and VIP on eth0:1, outbound traffic (snmp -> realserver, icmp -> realserver) would the outbound traffic then get the RIP set to the return address still?

in our nomenclature, the RIP is the IP on the Realserver. The IP on the inside of the Director is the DIP.

Linux routes according to the routing table. Since both the VIP and the DIP on the director are in the same network, Linux can choose either NIC.

The HOWTO examples were written in the days of IP aliases. Nowadays you should use iproute2 to set up IPs and routes like you're doing.

it's not breaking anything? If not you can leave it alone.

it isnt breaking anything, and I can leave it as it is. It would nice to isolate traffic to a specific interface. (it throughs off stats gathering stuff done on the switch)

you looked like you know what you were doing with the routing tables. Another method is to turn off icmp redirects and insert static routes instead (look at how "One Net LVS-NAT" is setup).

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-NAT.html#one_network

If you get something you're happy with, let us know and I'll put it in the HOWTO (along with why you need snmp etc and how it works in your setup).

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!