Re: active/active question....

Subject: Re: active/active question....
From: "Kristoffer Egefelt" <dr.fersken@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:36:21 +0200

To get active/active to work you need the layer 4 router
(here ip_vs) to allow active/active. The only way to do this
is with saru, which was a proof of principle project.

OK, so the only way to do active/active lvs setup in a switched environment
is with saru.
Active/active setup on lvs as I see it requires:

Support for shared mac address.
Support for fake outgoing mac address.
Logic that ensures equal amount of connections to each director.

The above is only supported by saru, but saru is not "production-ready" as I
understand.

Once you have active/active working, you can manage failout any
way you want.

But since saru isn't production-ready I won't be able to have a
active/active lvs setup, or is there another way?

Even in a active/standby setup in a switched environment, a shared mac
address would be needed as routers and switches arp caches sometimes take
serveral hours before refreshing.

Don't carp and vrrp handle these issues, while heartbeat and keepalived
handles the actual ip configuration?
Which would mean that keepalived/vrrp is ready to handle active/standby but
ultramonkey would need carp/vrrp to do the same?