Re: active connections not correct

Subject: Re: active connections not correct
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Bill Omer wrote:

no-one's thought it worth their time to have it working
perfectly.

Wow... how very openly honest  :)

time is hard to find for people who are working at this as a hobby. What gets worked on is usually what someone thinks is neat, rather than what would be useful to the user. This is not a commercial operation. LVS only exists because someone thought it was fun. There are other outputs that you found that tell you what you want to know. The ActiveConn etc output was the first one for LVS and it was just used to tell you if LVS was working at all. No-one thought of doing anything more to it. ipvsadm has been expanded considerably in the last few years to give more info on what the director is doing.

So would all of the connections show up correctly if I were to switch to LVS-NAT?

yes (I haven't checked personally myself recently, but it's supposed to).

And have you heard of anyone else using LVS-NAT in a
sitution like mine?

working at near wire speed?

People who install LVS's are closed mouthed about what they're doing. So the short answer is no. Presumably they're using them to make money and don't want anyone else knowing about it. We've given up asking people for specs and performance data. The last big datapoint was finding you could saturate 100Mbps ethernet with a 400MHz director. That was when you could first buy 400MHz machines. With hardware increasing speed all the time, no-one cares anymore what you could do with hardware a year ago, so we'd be spend all our time collecting data to throw away a year later.

none of your ssh connections are terminating at the director. The realservers are doing all the encrypting/decrypting etc. The director is just a router with funny rules. It's not working as hard as the realservers.

I'm wondering how much it would tax the director.

I think it's reasonable to give it a try (and let use know how it goes).