RE: active connections not correct

Subject: RE: active connections not correct
From: "Nicholas Newberry" <nnewberry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:14:45 -0400
> > Maybe my understanding of LVS-DR is incorrect.  I
> > understand that return packets that are sent from the RS
> > to the client are not sent through the director.
> > However, would the reply packets from the client go
> > through the director in order to get to the RS?
>
> yes.

Sorry to ask a question to which the answer is probably obvious to
everyone but me, but:

All traffic coming in to the cluster must go through the director, even
if it belongs to an existing TCP connection, because from outside the
cluster, it appears that the director is the only one that has the VIP?

I was under the impression that only the initial packet went through the
director, but now I see how this might not be possible without the
cooperation of the router/gateway that is letting client requests into
the cluster's subnet. The realserver's replies to the client would be
seen coming from a different MAC than the one the gateway has for the
VIP, but that's not such an abnormal case for a gateway, I suppose.