Re: LVS-TUN setup - responses from realserver not being let through

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS-TUN setup - responses from realserver not being let through
From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:24:31 +0200
Roberto Nibali wrote:

> I've already booked once 1&1 without the need for a German bank
> account,

Hmm, interesting - maybe it was just Strato.

> however those Hetzner guys indeed have a pretty unique offer.
> I'm inclined to switch. The data center has 9 Gbit/s redundant
> connectivity and they offer you 1'000 GByte per month free (best
> service effort I reckon) for you personal root server for 40 bucks.

Unlimited traffic even.  But definitely best effort - they also have an
option for guaranteed bandwidth at 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s - but pricey.
I've been using Hetzner servers for more than 3 years - never had reason
to complain.  And I can even pay the bills through Postfinance in Bern.

>> I can work with an LVS-NAT setup for now, but perhaps if we end up
>> renting more servers from Hetzner, we'll have some more leverage.
>
> Since they host about 10'000 servers and 100'000 domains, I reckon you
> need to invest heavily before the weighting in happens :).

Haha, you're probably right about that :-)

Back to the matter at hand - assuming I need to work around the IP
spoofing prevention, do I not have another option besides LVS-NAT -
I'm thinking of a variation of LVS-DR, where the real servers do not
respond directly to the client, but route their answers through the
director (set up as the default gateway for the real servers) ?

/Per Jessen, Zürich