Re: Heartbeat Error

To: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Heartbeat Error
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:40:48 +0900
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 11:37:31AM -0700, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Brad Taylor wrote:
>
> >I can't use eth0, eth0 is the server IP address and not the VIP. If I
> >can't use eth0:0 where do I put the VIP?
>
> I don't know if heartbeat still uses aliases. In general you should use the
> iproute2 tools approach

To claify, for IPV4 there are two ways to manage addresses:

  There is IPaddr, which uses the ifconfig method of aliases.
  This is the default for reasons that I will not go into,
  mainly because I think they are wrong.

  And there is IPaddr2, which uses the ip (iproute2) method
  as discussed in my previous email. Suffice to say, if you
  are using Linux I strongly recommend this approach. I also
  recommend using the ip command times instead of ifconfig and route.

There is also a separate script to handle IPV6, which is actually
C code, not a script. I have not played with this so I can't comment
on how it works internally.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/