ipvsadm output VS ifconfig output

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ipvsadm output VS ifconfig output
From: Jonathan Lundberg <lundbej@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:16:50 +0100
Hi guys,

Long time LVS users here at rte.ie, first time poster which shows it has been a
very good platform for us so far!

We have just installed two new CentOS 4.3 boxes with the CentOS Redhat Cluster
Suite repositories installing  ipvsadm-1.24-6 and piranha-0.8.2-1.

We are having a strange problem, where we found after starting pulse that
we could connect to most Virtual IP's, but not all (we run about 20 VIP's at
the moment), running in NAT mode.

We have discovered that the problematic VIP's appear in ipvsadm -l output, but the corresponding interface does not appear in ifconfig output on the LVS server/director.

Doing an "ifconfig eth0:x ip.of.vip.server" brings up the IP, and then we are able to connect to it without having to restart the pulse service or anything like that.
(I know the documentation says not to do this by the way..!)

Has anyone seen this problem before? I searched the mailing list archives and
looked through the How-To but could not find a reference to this problem.

Hopefully it is something simple, has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan Lundberg
(RTE, Dublin)
copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please note that emails to, from and within RTÉ may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act 1997 and may be liable to disclosure.