Re: Traffic to a "dead" server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Traffic to a "dead" server
From: Casey Zacek <cz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:02:48 -0500
Graeme Fowler wrote (at Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 02:25:13PM +0100):
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/expire_quiescent_template
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/expire_nodest_conn
>
> In your specific case, you probably want both set to "1" such that
> keepalived will "do the right thing" regardless of the state of the machine:
>
> If the machine is quiesced (weight to 0) then all new connections will
> go elsewhere *and* persistent connections will be cleared. Unfortunately
> this means that session-based applications will have a problem unless
> the session data is shared between all the realservers in some way.
>
> If the machine is removed from the pool completely, all connections will
> be expired. Comments regarding sessions apply here also.
>
> What do you have them set to? And, secondly, have you changed them for
> any reason recently?

I've never touched them.

Since I never use weight=0, I don't think I need to touch that
setting.  It sounds like expire_nodest_conn=1 would be appropriate,
though.

What I don't understand is why it behaves like it does under
controlled circumstances (as I did just to make sure, myself, when I
wrote my last email), but then it does something totally opposite
*sometimes*.

--
Casey Zacek
Senior Engineer