LVS / NAT with MON hanging after some days

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS / NAT with MON hanging after some days
From: "Grames, Gernot" <gernot.grames@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:49:09 +0200
Hi LVS users / experts,

Maybe you can help me to trace the failure in my configuration, or you
can help me to come a step closer to the solution!

I have configured a LVS/NAT with mon on 2 directors (Major and Backup).
Behind the director i have 4 clients running.

Installed SW:
SUSE SLES9      -->     Linux ld1 2.6.5-7.244-default #1 Mon Dec 12
18:32:25 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
mon             -->     ld1:~ # mon -v
                        $Id: mon 1.27 Sat, 08 Sep 2001 09:42:05 -0400
trockij $
                        $ProjectVersion: mon-0-99-2.6 $
ipvsadm         -->     ipvsadm v1.24 2003/06/07 (compiled with
getopt_long and IPVS v1.2.0)
ipvs            -->     IP Virtual Server version 1.2.0

Network structure:
Bonding on the incoming Network (192.168.66.x)  --> outside World
Bonding on the outgoing Network (192.168.0.x)           --> inside World
- clients
Interconnect over ppp (RS232 0 modem cable)

My Problem now:
The lvs with the nat and the mon is working perfectly for some time.
After around 5 or 6 days (i have it seen also one time after one day)
the server (director) freezes completly.
The Backup director takes the tasks of the Major LoadDistributor (lvs
director).
But on the freezed server is not possible to admin anything anymore.
Only hard reboot helps.

Onetime the second (Backup Director) freezed also.

I made some scripts (cron) to write logfiles with the info of the
running process, memory and hard disc space.
But there i cannot find a special behavior.

I can`t also say if the ipvs is the problem or the mon??

Is there a possibility to debug these things?
Which possibilites are there to come closer to the problem!

I know the newer version of IPVS exist in the suse SLES10.
But i don`t want to by the newer Server SW.

Thank you!

Greetings from Austria
Gernot Grames