Re: Why doesn't -d clear the persistent routing/timeout info?

Subject: Re: Why doesn't -d clear the persistent routing/timeout info?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:19:16 +0900
On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 04:50:35PM -0500, Mark Swanson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding persistent connections.
> When I take a machine offline via:
> /sbin/ipvsadm -d -t machineA:http -r machineB:http
>
> Everything works mostly fine. If I click 'reload' on a browser window that
> had
> previously connected to machineB it hangs, but clicking 'reload' again
> connects
> to a different machine in the cluster and all is well.
>
> However, after I'm done doing maintenance on machineB and I bring it back
> online via:
> /sbin/ipvsadm -a -t machineA:http -r machineB:http -m -w 1
>
> Then the machine instantly has 65 ActiveConn, 138 InActConn. It's as if the
> persistent connection information wasn't removed when I did ipvsadm -d
> previously.
>
> If I wanted the persistent connection information to be cleared for a
> particular machine that I've deleted, is there a way to do that?

Setting /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/expire_quiescent_template to a non-zero
value might help, though I'm surprised that you see the behaviour that
you describe. Are you sure that it is related tp presistence? How long
are you taking the real-server offline for? Perhaps it is just finding
the old connections in the trash, in which case its probably not
something to worry about. Inspecting ipvsadm -L -c -n should throw some
light on it - for each connection entry, if the source port for the
source host is 0, then its related to persistance, otherwise its not.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/