Re: 700 Mbit/s connection and squids

Subject: Re: 700 Mbit/s connection and squids
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:21:03 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, john colson wrote:

Hi,
  We would like to use LVS in a system where 700Mbit/s traffic is flowing
through it. Concurrent connection number is about 420.000   . Our main
purpose for using LVS is to direct 80. port requests into number of squid
servers (~80 servers)
I have read performance documents and I just wonder I can handle this much
of traffic with a 2x3.2 Xeon  and 4GB of RAM of hardware or not

I assume you're talking about specifications for the director.

o SMP doesn't help (see HOWTO)

o the director is a router only (with slightly unusual rules). All it's doing is routing. If your proposed hardware can handle the network throughput, that's all that's involved. You only need enough memory to run the OS and handle the connections. I don't remember how many bytes/connection but at 0.5M connections, that would only be a few MBytes of memory