Re: LVS dns cluster

Subject: Re: LVS dns cluster
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:23:50 +0000
Simon

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 19:20 +0100, Simon Pearce wrote:
> I am switching out current windows cluster with bind9 to an
> lvs/keepalived cluster with four realservers running powerdns.
<snip descriptive prose>

What OS do your various servers - directors, realservers - run? What
hardware spec are they?

Are you including all of your IP addresses in your VRRP configs
announcements within keepalived, or are you using the
vrrp_address_excluded option to keep the announcements down to a
minimum? without looking I'd hazard a guess that you may be limited to
255 or 256 addresses per announcement, with a similar limit on the
number of VRIDs you define.

What is your config? What's the difference between a working one and a
broken one?

So many questions :)

One answer: there are no ARP issues with LVS-NAT, but you have to keep
your IP configs clean *and* keep track of your connection tables. If
you're using netfilter/iptables outbound on the director you could,
potentially, cause RAM famine by exhausting conntrack buckets. But let's
get to that slowly!

Graeme