Re: Software Interup Issues

To: davec@xxxxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Software Interup Issues
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:13:59 +0000
On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 18:08 +0000, davec@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
> warning: many lost ticks.
> Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
> rip _spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x2f/0x30
> Falling back to HPET
<snip>
> Dell 1850 - Dual Xeon 3.0GHZ (HyperThreading disabled) - 3GB RAM
> RedHat EL4 ES
> Linux upstream 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 25 17:24:31 EDT 2006 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> ipvsadm v1.24 2005/12/10 (compiled with getopt_long and IPVS v1.2.0)

[racking memory...]

Nothing there that I can recall, but... ah, Google is my friend :)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/osrhel4/en/INT/HJ834A00.pdf

That mentions two separate issues causing lost ticks on RHEL4 - one is
AMD specific, the other a generic IDE problem. Both recommend updating
your system, so make sure you're on at least RHEL4 update 4.

You could also do worse than read the thread around
http://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2006-August/msg00270.html as
it describes a similar problem on a system which is very IO intensive
(which, obviously, a loaded transparent cache will be).

Graeme